We act in cases to ensure that the police, Home Office and other state authorities are held accountable for their conduct through all available avenues. These avenues include complaint schemes, judicial reviews, and civil claims for compensation, including claims arising out of the Human Rights Act and the Equality Act.
We act for individuals and groups who have been affected by the actions of the state. Examples of claims and cases we do include:
- Police law – complaints and civil claims, most commonly for wrongful arrest, assault, false imprisonment, malicious prosecutions and other unlawful actions. We also act for victims following failures of the police and justice system to investigate rape, sexual assault and domestic violence.
- Claims against the Home Office – claims arising in the immigration detention context, including assault, misfeasance and false imprisonment and the unlawful detention of children, torture victims and the mentally ill
- Claims against the Ministry of Justice – Miscarriages of justice and civil claims arising from assaults and misfeasance in prisons
- Claims against the government and intelligence services – challenging their complicity in torture and rendition
- Claims against Social Services – acting for those who were in care and subject to abuse and/or neglect
- Claims against the Crown Prosecution Service – public law challenges to failures of the CPS including failure to prosecute sexual offenders and perpetrators of domestic violence
- Judicial Reviews – We also act in challenging decisions of the state arising from all of the matters outlined above.
Who we are
Our team consists of eight solicitors who have a broad range and depth of experience:
Marcia Willis Stewart QC (Hon)
Sumaiyah Anwar – Trainee
Marte Lund – paralegal
Zizipho Zondani – paralegal
Where no legal aid is available, we offer competitive rates, we will always discuss our charges with you at the outset of your case.
We receive new enquiries by email or letter and can only deal with telephone enquiries in exceptional cases.
Prospective clients are asked to complete the form below in order that we can understand what you hope to achieve and whether we can assist. If we require further information in order to consider your enquiry, a member of the team will contact you by phone.
If you are unable to submit the form below, please send a brief email which includes your answers to the above questions, to email@example.com
We will respond to your enquiry as soon as possible.